Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Reviews and interprets physicians orders for appropriateness relevant to other departments to ensure that overdoses/under doses have not been prescribed and that interactions, incompatibilities, or toxic compounds will not result from the combination of medications; assure that drugs are appropriately labeled, stored, and utilized according to physicians' instructions.
- Dispense prescription to outpatients in accordance with PATHS' policy and in conformance with regulations and laws according to state and federal laws; counsel patients about their medications and maintain an accurate up-to-date patient profile.
- Handling of all controlled substances must follow all state laws and regulations as stated by the Virginia Board of Pharmacy and federal laws (i.w. paperwork dispensing and/or destruction).
- Supervise pre-packaging of drugs and control procedures.
- Provide drug information such as dosing, compatibilities, formulary substitutes, etc. to nurses and physicians.
- Participate in in-service education programs when requested.
- Arrange to obtain drugs in an emergency situation if PIC is unavailable.
- Maintain a positive and instructional interaction with HCP nurses, physicians and other clinical staff
- Verify the work performed by supportive personnel, which includes, but is not limited to, patient drug data entry and drug distribution policies and procedures.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the profession by participation in organizational memberships; attendance at meetings, lectures, in-services, seminars; reading journals; comply with National Standards of Continuing Education in order to maintain professional competency and proficiency.
- Assure that the quality of professional services are maintained.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Other duties as required.
Education and/or experience
- Must hold either a Bachelor's or Doctorate degree in pharmacy from an accredited school of pharmacy recognized by the American Council of Pharmaceutical Education (ACPE).
- Must hold a license to practice pharmacy in the Commonwealth of Virginia and be in good standing with the Virginia Board of Pharmacy.
- Should have a minimum of six months experience in a retail setting. Must be computer literate and be able to work independently.
- Customer service skills
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Compassion/Empathy - Show concern for a wellbeing of others.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Teaching - Instructing others how to do something.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Broad understanding of laws and regulations governing the practice of pharmacy.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Standards of Conduct
This position requires compliance with Health Center's written standards, including its Compliance Program and Standards of Conduct and policies and procedures ("Written Standards. Such compliance will be an element considered as part of a Pharmacist - in- Charge's regular performance evaluation.)
PATHS' provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and and harassment of any type with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
APPLY HERE: https://www.pathsinc.org/careers