Senior Mechanical Designer
At Hitachi Energy our purpose is advancing a sustainable energy future for all. We bring power to our homes, schools, hospitals and factories. Join us and work with fantastic people, while learning and developing yourself on projects that have a real impact to our communities and society. Bring your passion, bring your energy, and be part of a global team that appreciates a simple truth: Diversity + Collaboration = Great Innovation
Location: South Boston, Virginia, United States of America
Job Type: Full time
Job Function: Engineering & Science
Publication date: 2023-11-17
Reference number: R0035984
The quality and innovation of the engineering in our products, systems and service offerings keeps our customers ahead. Developing solutions for our customers all over the world and working in our market-leading technologies will challenge and enrich your work and your mind.
Hitachi Energy is seeking a Mechanical Designer for its Transformer Services US engineering team. This role will consist of the preparation of designs and drawings to support the Transformer Services business. This role will be based in the South Boston, VA office or remote with up to 15% travel required.
You will be a vital member of the engineering team in Transformer Services US. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will be the go-to person for technical field support related to retrofits as well as creating mechanical drawings in support of field projects.
- Supporting the wider engineering team by preparing high-quality drawings and bill of materials using Computer Aided Design (CAD) software.
- Using your knowledge and expertise to provide solutions to a variety of technical inquiries.
- Delivering all drawings according to an agreed-upon timeline, cost estimate and all relevant quality standards.
- Ensuring accurate application and implementation of standard processes and tools in the preparation of accurate drawings.
- Coaching and guiding less experienced colleagues.
- Living core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- Creating drawings for mechanical modifications to transformers and supporting daily field service activities.
- Completing studies and reports for bushing retrofits.
- Designing solutions for retrofitting existing transformers with digital equipment such as CoreSense, CoreTec, bushing monitoring, etc.
- Designing field retrofits for items such as bushings, LTCs, pumps, radiators, gauges, etc.
- Living Hitachi Energy's core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- A bachelor's degree in engineering with five or more years of experience or alternatively a combination of studies and ten yeas or more of transformer experience.
- Candidate must already have work authorization that would permit them to work for Hitachi Energy in the United States.
- Experience in design and execution, working as a mechanical designer with transformers.
- Proficient in AutoCAD or CREA CAD software and Microsoft Office 365.
- Initiative, creativity and great attention to detail.
- A collaborative, solutions-oriented approach and strong communication skills.