Mid-Atlantic Broadband Communities Corporation (MBC) is currently seeking a candidate for a full-time Network Locator. This position is a crucial role in ensuring reliable and efficient locating services and damage prevention. The primary responsibility of this position is to accurately identify, locate and mark MBC’s underground network infrastructure to prevent accidents and damages to the infrastructure during construction, excavation, or any other ground-disturbing activities.
MBC owns and operates an extensive open-access fiber optic network, providing wholesale optical transport services to communities throughout the southern Virginia region. Created in 2004, MBC's mission is one of economic revitalization and development in rural Virginia, working closely with communities and regional economic development groups to bring state-of-the-art broadband transport services to the area and help drive private sector investments in our region.
Mid-Atlantic Broadband Communities Corporation, 715 Wilborn Avenue, South Boston, VA 24592 (The successful candidate will need to live within the Virginia/North Carolina region with ability to travel periodically to corporate office.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Utility Identification and Location: Use specialized equipment, techniques, and tools to accurately determine the precise locations of and mark underground fiber optic cables. Collaborate with others as needed to obtain accurate information about underground installations. Conduct on-site visits to assess the area before excavation or construction projects. Perform surveys to identify potential obstacles and hazards related to underground utilities. Respond to Emergency locate requests during evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Marking and Documentation: Clearly mark the ground surface to indicate the presence and path of underground fiber optic cables. Document and record the locations, depths, and types of identified utilities. Provide detailed reports and drawings to construction crews and project managers as needed. Maintain accurate records of the locations and markings of utility lines and network infrastructure, updating the company's database as needed.
- Equipment Operation: Operate various utility locating devices and tools such as electromagnetic locators, ground-penetrating radar, and utility maps. Calibrate and maintain equipment to ensure accurate readings and reliability.
- Communication: Coordinate and collaborate with construction teams, contractors, project managers, and other stakeholders to communicate the location information effectively and resolve any issues or conflicts that may arise. Interact with property owners and others to explain the utility locating process and address concerns. Provide excellent customer service by answering questions and ensuring a thorough understanding of the utility locating procedures.
- Problem Solving: Troubleshoot and solve problems related to inaccurate utility information or challenging locating conditions. Provide recommendations for alternative construction methods if utilities are in conflict with planned excavation.
- Safety and Regulations: Prioritize safety in all activities, both for self and for those working in the vicinity of utility lines and infrastructure. Ensure that all locating activities adhere to relevant safety and regulatory guidelines, including OSHA and state-specific requirements. Adhere to safety protocols and regulations to prevent accidents and injuries. Stay updated with industry standards, regulations, and best practices related to utility locating.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent with two (2) or more years of related experience.
- Locator Certification preferred (by Staking University or other similar provider).
- Knowledge of underground location methods, techniques and equipment.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work accurately.
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions.
- Knowledge and understanding of safety regulations and best practices.
- Willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and equipment.
- Strong time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Computer proficiency including mapping and ticketing software and Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to bend, stoop, sit, lift (approximately 75 lbs.), walk and stand for long periods.
- Ability to operate outside plant locating tools and equipment such as locator, OTDR, measuring wheel, height stick, etc.
- Valid driver’s license.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position is full-time with benefits. MBC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability coverages, life insurance, 401(k) retirement, tuition reimbursement, paid time off and holidays. MBC is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer and will consider all applications without regard to race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, race, traits historically associated with race, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, military status, sexual orientation, sex or gender (which includes harassment and discrimination based on gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit cover letter and resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715 Wilborn Avenue, South Boston, VA 24592.