Engineering Manager (Power Transformers)
At Hitachi Energy our purpose is advancing a sustainable energy future for all. We bring power to our homes, schools, hospitals and factories. Join us and work with fantastic people, while learning and developing yourself on projects that have a real impact to our communities and society. Bring your passion, bring your energy, and be part of a global team that appreciates a simple truth: Diversity + Collaboration = Great Innovation
Location: South Boston, Virginia, United States of America
Job Type: Full time
Job Function: Engineering & Science
Publication date: 2023-11-06
Reference number: R0035008
Hitachi Energy is seeking an Engineering Manager for its South Boston, VA Power Transformer Product Line. As a Product Line Engineering Manager, you will be part of the engineering function across the Product Line. You will be driving the performance of the engineering function to ensure that all engineering activities meet the required safety, integrity, financial and contractual requirements, initiating and driving continuous improvement activities across the function.
- Act as member of the product line management team providing strategic and operational guidance to support ongoing development of the business. Serve as an escalation point for systemic engineering issues within the power transformers organization.
- Manage physical resources and engineers engaged in technically specialized phases of activities involving one or more engineering disciplines.
- Create and manage implementation of long-term strategic plans which define business strategy resource requirements. Oversee planning and control process in the engineering teams. Monitor quality metrics, identify opportunities for improvement and oversee improvement activities.
- Guide the business in building engineering / operational capability through training, mentoring, and shadowing programs. Support business unit in establishing and deploying required frameworks/processes. Conducts and follow-up certification process jointly with business unit. Ensure processes are in place to capture and share best practices.
- Conduct management reviews to guide operation of continuous improvement activities.
- Negotiate with customers, technical issues of considerable significance that may impact current and future business. Resolve conflicts between engineers and customers, in order to reach mutual satisfaction and agreement.
- Ensure that the function is properly organized, staffed and directed. Guides, motivates, coach and develop teams.
- Be an active customer to GPG and drive development in direction aligned with HUB strategies.
- Safeguard operations by timely reaction to systematic issues, especially quality issues, generated out of or influenced by the engineering area.
- Product line management team member driving the short-, mid and long-term operational and strategy implementation.
- Manage and develop the technical managers. Make sure talent pipeline exists.
- Manage and drive operational improvements in HSE, footprint, productivity, and quality.
- Living Hitachi Energy's core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering and 5-8 years of experience, with 3-5 years of experience in a leadership role.
- Candidate must already have work authorization that would permit them to work for Hitachi Energy in the United States.
- 3-5 years of experience managing a team of Engineers.
- Knowledge of Power Transformers is a plus.
- Proactive, result-oriented individual with excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills as well as reliability and ability to work under pressure.
- Skilled communicator who can interface with numerous external and internal parties and stakeholders at all levels in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively.