Cashier, John H. Daniel Campus
Southside Virginia Community College is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as campus cashier to collect state, local, and federal funds over the counter, in the mail and/or electronically in an accurate and timely manner while providing excellent customer service. To provide local funds account support to include batching, account coding, keying and printing checks. To perform due diligence and management of unclaimed checks issued from state and local funds. To respond to all questions & concerns regarding student accounts in a clear, accurate and timely manner. The hours for this position are 10:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Fridays.
Core Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for receipting and depositing all monies, state and local received in the mail and over the counter, in SIS. Responsible for receipting monies collected through WES system and maintaining documentation and certifying monthly. Responsible for daily preparation of Daniel Campus Daily Cash Settlement Report and reviewing DCSRs of Christanna Campus & off-campus sites for completeness & accuracy daily; Post state deposit certificates to AIS within 3 days of deposit. Prepare bank deposits of all monies collected daily and take to bank when the security officer is not available to do so. Responsible for Third Party Contract set-up & posting as well as posting of tuition waivers (Senior Citizen, VMSDP, etc) to student accounts. Responsible for answering all questions & concerns regarding student accounts in a clear, accurate and timely manner. Responsible for 1098T (tuition statement for tax purposes) testing & providing customer support for 1098T student issues.
-Assist with and serve as back-up for Local Funds management to include the following: Disburse local fund checks weekly or as needed after proper approvals are received. Post local disbursements to automated accounting system (AIS). Maintain local funds scholarship account. Submit reimbursables to Accounts Payable in timely manner and check stubs for EVA Report by the 5th day of each month. Review Local Fund purchases for compliance with VPPA and DPS regulations and policies and processes through eVA. Post deposits, checks and bank fees to Local Funds Ledger monthly; monitor & post electronic local funds deposits from RediVA. Provide printouts/balances to clubs monthly and upon request. Key all receipts for Local Funds to AIS timely and accurately and ensure Local Funds balances in AIS match the Local Funds ledger sheet monthly.
- Verify unpaid students. Place and remove service indicators as needed. Notify Admissions and Records of unpaid students who need to be dropped by deadline each semester (submit to Financial Services Specialist or Business Manager for approval prior to sending to Admissions). Record payments on student and third party accounts daily as received. Work closely with Accounts Receivable Clerk to identify unpaid accounts and to ensure accurate billings for third party contracts. Responsible for contacting students enrolled in FACA ineligible classes as identified by the Financial Aid Office.
- Provide support to two off-campus site cashiers by assisting with problems and visiting quarterly to ensure compliance with policies and procedures; i.e. ensure day lock is on safe, change cash funds balance, ensure all funds are locked in safe, etc. Review Daily Cash Settlement Reports for two off-site campuses.
- Responsible for performing due diligence on unclaimed checks for state funds – follow up with Financial Aid director to reduce awards of federal funds & send state funds to the State of Virginia Unclaimed Property Program. Responsible for performing due diligence on unclaimed checks for Local Funds and sending unclaimed funds to the State of Virginia Unclaimed Property Program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent reuired
- Working knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while providing excellent customer service in a timely and accurate manner
- Computer skills to include MS Excel and MS Word
- Ability to utilize Peoplesoft computer system to receipt funds and analyze students accounts
- Analytical skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Experience commensurate with the dutes of the position
- Significant experience in cashiering
- Experience and/or education in accounting
- Demonstrated working knowledge of MS Excel and MS Word required
Applicants must apply online by submitting a complete state application through this site. Applicants must create a user account to apply online.
- Associates degree in business related field preferred
- Demonstrated exceptional experience in cashiering and accounting preferred
- Experience in Peoplesoft a plus
- Career Readiness Certificate preferred
For more information about this position or other vacancies within our agency, please visit our website at www.southside.edu/employment or contact Theresa Henderson at 434.949.1089.